Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia
Herzen University: Stability, Confidence, Leadership!
In May 2012 Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia one of the biggest and oldest higher educational establishments in St. Petersburg and in Russia celebrates its 215-th Anniversary. History of the Herzen University goes back to the Emperor's Educational House which was founded in 1797 on its territory. The University is situated in the very center of the city nearby Nevsky Prospect. Thousands of people have graduated from the University; among them are teachers, scientists, artists, musicians, politicians, public figures famous in this country and abroad.
On January 21, 1991 the Herzen State Pedagogical Institute got the status of a university and is now called "The Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia" which is a manifestation of the acknowledgement of its leading role in Russian and world education. In January 1998 the Government of Russia awarded the University with a status of a National Culture Heritage of the Russian Federation.
Nowadays the Herzen University can satisfy practically any need in the sphere of education on a highly professional level. Historical background of the University and its present-day structural organization provided for creation of a powerful educational, scientific and cultural network with dynamic connections within Russia and abroad.
Herzen University today
- 20 Faculties and 3 Educational Institutes with full-time, part-time and correspondence forms of education;
- Over 20000 Russian and Foreign students from 40 countries of Europe, Asia, America and Africa;
- about 100 Chairs and Departments (including International UNESCO Department);
- about 300 educational undergraduate and graduate programs;
- post-graduate courses in 90 specialties;
- 3 Research Institutes, problem, industrial and other types of scientific research laboratories;
- center of telecommunicational support of education;
- specialized publishing house;
- one of the largest university libraries in Russia;
- preparatory departments and courses;
- linguistic center;
- all-year-round courses of Russian for foreigners;
- scientific agro-biological and geographical stations;
- historical, geological and zoological museums, Museum of the University;
- sport and recreational center;
- medical clinic and canteens;
- hostels for home and foreign students;
- student's clubs, folk-groups "Northern lights" and "Silver Strings", Student Symphony Orchestra etc.
The University Library possesses a unique collection, which includes books issued as far back as the XVI-th century and rare publications of the XVIII-XX-th centuries; it numbers more than 3 million items. Nowadays, the University Library is subscribed to all major digital academic databases and provides opportunity for the most modern way of academic research.
The University has agreements of co-operation with over 150 foreign Universities, Colleges and other Educational establishments from 30 Countries from Europe, Asia and America. The University takes part in different programs, such as exchange of students, faculty, specialists, educational technologies; conducts international seminars and conferences; realizes joint educational and research projects, etc.
International Centers of the University:
- American Studies Resource Center;
- Centro Lusófono Camões (Center of Portuguese language and Literature);
- Chinese Cultural Center;
- Center of Spanish-speaking cultures;
- Cultural and Educational Center "Fennoskandia";
- Consulting Center of German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
48, Moika Embankment,
St.-Petersburg, 191186, Russia
tel.: (812)312-4492; fax: (812)312-1195
6, Kazanskaya st.,
St.-Petersburg, 191186, Russia
tel.: (812)314-7859; tel./fax: (812)314-7654
Source: Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia